Monday 3 June 2013

Spiralling into colour Chapter 1 Research

Once you start looking for man made and natural spirals it almost spirals out of control.

I started with a topic web

                                       
   


Took all sorts of photographs and collected some internet images, book illustrations and postcards.
I collected them together under different subjects.
In particular, following a weekend of activities including a trip to the Liverpool Philharmonic and visit to Ynys Hir Nature Reserve got me thinking along the lines of music and nature in woodlands.  However I also looked at Celtic spirals.
Here is a collage to give a flavour of musical images:



Collage removed (Copy in file)

The above shows inspiration from music, from the conch shells used in China even today to instruments and features of orchestras.  The topic web highlights many aspects.  

I think I'd like to somehow combine spirals in music with celtic designs.

I was fascinated by the work of Judith Hurst, who kindly allowed me to use a little of her work for educational purposes (see in the top row above) and who I'll mention again. 

I found sketching spirals helpful to better understand how they are constructed.
Different pages were drawn, but here is only celtic and music inspired images.
Celtic spirals:



Spirals found in music:




The Fibonnacci sequence and Golden section is significant in both natural and man made structures (see also Module 2).

The above indicates just some of the research undertaken.

I would like to remove the collage once it has been viewed for copyright reasons.  Although there are many of my own photographs, others are not.  It may also help reduce memory used.










No comments:

Post a Comment