Saturday 22 June 2013

Chapter 2 Design work Spiral 'Warm up' exercises

This chapter shows how papers and corrugated cardboard can be twisted, cut and manipulated into different spiral designs.

Colours selected are purple and yellow, complementary colours on the colour wheel and contrasting especially where shades of the colour work with hues of the complementary colours.

Papers used included cartridge, newspaper and tissue and samples of each are shown




Examples of twisted shapes are shown here:
First using tissue and wire to help
The next two using painted cartridge




To develop the spirals further I selected music as the inspiration.
I used some of the images shown in chapter 1, but added others as shown here
I was particularly drawn to string instruments.

Here are the examples in sequence







Using corrugated cardboard here are examples
The first plain brown cardboard on a gold painted surface


Second cardboard painted one side purple the other yellow stuck to a purple surface
Added a few spiral shavings as cleared the flat surface off the cardboard.



For the monoprinting I would like to develop the images of string instruments, harps and violins, but also bringing in other spirals such as the celtic designs as adapt the initial image (see page 9), and spirals found on musical scores. 
I want to manipulate images using the computer but am possibly limited in what I can do.
However I have used a recommended website
http://www.zefrank.com/scribbler/scribblertoo/
and this is what I've achieved so far:

No comments:

Post a Comment